• Users Online: 94
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 25  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 43-47

Association between multiple antenatal registration and pregnancy outcome in Enugu, South Eastern Nigeria


Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Emeka I Iloghalu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Ituku/Ozalla Campus, Enugu.
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijmh.IJMH_33_19

Rights and Permissions

Background: The benefit of multiple antenatal registration for a current pregnancy is not proven with respect to pregnancy outcome. Aim: The aim of this study was to determine the association between multiple antenatal registration for a current pregnancy and maternal and neonatal complications. Materials and Methods: This was a cross-sectional study of 420 eligible women who delivered at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku-Ozalla, Enugu, Nigeria, from July 2017 to September 2017. Structured pretested questionnaires were administered to consecutive 420 consenting women who delivered at the study center. Data analysis was both descriptive and inferential at 95% confidence interval (CI). A value of P < 0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: The incidence of multiple booking was 52.1%, whereas the commonest reason was for a second opinion, 121 of 219 (55.3%). Maternal complications occurred in 12 of 121 (9.9%) of the participants who had multiple antenatal booking and in 10 of 201 (5.0%) of those who had a single-facility registration. This difference was however not statistically significant (P = 0.111, odds ratio [OR] 2.10 95%, CI 0.88, 5.03). Neonatal complications occurred in 17 of 121 (14.0%) of participants who had multiple antenatal booking and in 16 of 201 (8.0%) of participants who had a single-facility registration group. This difference was also not statistically significant (P = 0.090, OR 1.89 95%, CI 0.92, 3.90). Conclusion: There was no association between multiple antenatal registration and pregnancy outcome in terms of maternal and neonatal complication compared with single-facility antenatal registration. There is a dire need for health education to encourage single registration with a skilled birth attendant.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed396    
    Printed36    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded47    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal